6 Easy Home Remedies For Fleas

fleas

fleasFleas are very irritating and unwanted guests into your home! Did you know that if your pet contracts fleas, only 5% of them are living on the pet? The rest of them, i.e. 95% are living in your home!

So when you eliminate fleas from your pet, you must simultaneously remove them from your home and garden. Use these simple home remedies to rid your home and pet of these pests.

Home Remedies For Fleas

Using A Dish Of Soapy Water

To rid your home of fleas, place a medium sized shallow dish of water on the floor of each room. Pour a few tablespoons of dish washing liquid into the water and mix well till you have a liquid of a slightly thick consistency. Add a small tea light candle in the center of the dish and light it. The fleas will get attracted towards the light and will crawl into the dish.

Due to the soapy water they will get stuck in the liquid and after a few hours you will find that the dish will be full of creepy crawlies! You should immediately throw away the water and replace with a fresh dish. You can do this daily to for 3-4 days to rid your home of fleas.

Eucalyptus Leaves

Fleas, ticks and other mites hate the odor of eucalyptus leaves, making these a very powerful repellant. Cut a few eucalyptus leaves and place them in floral arrangements in your home.

Eucalyptus Leaves

They look very attractive, and have a pleasant, fresh smell too! You should also place a few leaves under the bedding/pillows of your dog’s sleeping basket to discourage any fleas from infesting its bedding.

Salt And Baking Soda

Fleas love carpets and lay their eggs there. In order to rid your carpet of fleas and their larvae, you have to take equal quantities of salt and baking soda, and sprinkle them liberally on your carpet, ensuring that you have covered every inch. First use salt and the go over the entire area again with baking soda.

Both salt and baking soda dehydrate flea eggs which makes it impossible for them to survive. Leave the mixture on the carpet for 10-12 hours and then vacuum. Repeat this procedure daily for 3-4 days.

Vinegar Water

Make a solution of 50% vinegar and 50% water. Fill this in a spray bottle and spray all over the house, especially on carpets and sofas. Vinegar is an excellent insect repellant. This process should be repeated daily for at least 2 weeks to completely kill all fleas and eggs.

Garlic

garlic

In order to ward off fleas from small children, this option may be used. Rub raw garlic cloves on the soles of their feet, armpits, and behind the ears. Be very careful not to apply garlic juice near eyes or at any place where the skin is broken or inflamed, as garlic juice is very strong and can sting.

Mothballs

You can crush a few mothballs and put them into your vacuum cleaner, so that the fleas will be repelled by the scent of the mothballs every time you vacuum. Also, you can make small sachets of mothballs and place them under the sofa cushions, corners of rooms, under your pet’s bedding etc. to ward off fleas.

Eliminating fleas from the home and pets is a very tedious process and requires a lot of patience. But if you keep up with the process your how ill soon be free of these tiresome pests!