It is natural to lose natural color of your hair at the advanced age of 50’s and 60’s. But surprisingly, many young women and men in their 20’s and 30’s find their hair turning gray speedily and prematurely these days.
Premature graying is really a frustrating condition because a person with grey hair starts looking older than his age. Our hair is composed of the cells similar to cells of the skin that are found in epidermis – the outer layer of the skin.
Hair is made up of follicles which are located deep in the skin. Hair grows when sebaceous glands of the scalp secrete sebum – an oily substance. Sebum contains RNA that provides hair its nutrition, color and texture. The nourishment that the scalp requires comes from the bloodstream.
Improper dietary habits, stress, anxiety genes and pollution contributes to premature graying of hair. The hair follicles secrete a pigment known as melanin, which provides the color to our hair. When the cells do not get enough nourishment, they stop producing melanin and as a result, hair turns white.
Possible Causes Of Premature Graying Of Hair
Genes and heredity can be some of the possible reasons of hair becoming white at an early age. It can pass down from generation to generation. Poor diet like excessive intake of fried, oily and spicy food and tea, coffee or alcoholic beverages can also trigger premature graying of hair. Lack of vitamin B, iron, iodine and copper in your diet also causes your hair to become white early as these nutrients keep the pigment healthy.
Too much stress and anxiety can also interfere with the production of melanin and cause your hair to turn grey early. Prolonged illness or nutritional deficiency can also trigger premature graying of hair. Besides this, chemical imbalances, thyroid disease often contribute to untimely graying of hair. Unhealthy scalp which is not maintained hygienically, use of blow dryer, use of harsh shampoos can also contribute to premature graying of hair.
Treatment for White Hair
Your hair needs nourishment for preventing them from turning white. There are many simple home remedies that you can try.
Treatment With Indian Gooseberry
One of the most effective home remedies for treating white hair is use of gooseberry. It will enhance the production of pigment that gives color to your hair and promotes growth of hair. Cut 6-7 gooseberries into small pieces and dry them in shade to prevent oxidation. Take a cup of coconut and boil the oil along with pieces of gooseberry till a thick and dark consistency is achieved. Cool the mixture and store it in a bottle. Applying regularly will be very helpful for treating white hair.
Soak some dried Amla (Indian Gooseberry) overnight in water and use this water for last rinse after shampooing your hair. This will provide complete nourishment to your hair. Mix equal quantity of Amla juice and almond oil and few drops of lime juice and use the mixture for massaging your scalp every night. This is very effective treatment for preventing premature hair graying.
Massaging the scalp with butter made from cow milk can be beneficial for treatment of white hair. Massing the scalp with Almond oil in circular motion will help enhance blood circulation and strengthen the roots of your hair.
Photo Credit- Emersonsalon.com
Curry leaves have been found beneficial for treating white hair. Make a paste of curry leaves and mix the paste in butter milk and then drink it. Alternatively, you can also boil curry leaves in coconut oil and massage your scalp with this oil regularly. Application of fresh juice of Amaranth leaves on your scalp can help to retain the color of your hair.
Another effective remedy for white hair is use of ribbed gourd. Cut ribbed guard into pieces and dry them in shade. Now soak the dried pieces in coconut oil for few days. After 3 or 4 days, get the mixture to boil until it turns to a blackened consistency. Regular massage of this oil on your scalp will enhance pigmentation and make the roots of the hair strong, thus preventing white hair.
Diet to Prevent Premature Hair Graying
• To prevent premature whitening of hair, your diet can go a long way. Eat foods containing high amounts of para-aminobenzoix acid or PABA, pantothenic axid and inositol belonging to B vitamin group. Liver, yeast, and wheat gems are good sources of these vitamins.
• Good bacteria in the intestinal tract can also prevent premature whitening of hair. So take sufficient yogurt along with one tablespoon of yeast every day in your meal. For better results, you can also take supplement of calcium pantothenate and para-aminobenzoic acid.
• Lack of the mineral ‘copper’ reduces melanin production. Incorporate foods rich is iodine and iron in your diet. Seafood like crab and oyster are beneficial for preventing graying of hair. Also eat sunflower seeds, almonds and cashew nuts, which are good sources of copper. Eat lot of fish to get iodine.
• Eat lot of fruits and vegetables. Bananas and carrot are particularly very beneficial. Juice of carrot, capsicum, lettuce and alfalfa are great remedies for premature hair graying. Your diet should include all essential nutrients because diet has great significance in preventing whitening of hair.
• Restrict yourself from eating processed food made of white flour and refined sugar. Also avoid soft drinks, pastries, spicy and oily food. Also avoid foods that are loaded with preservatives and artificial colors as they can dehydrate the scalp.
When our hair does not get proper nourishment, the pigment producing cells in our hair follicle fails to work and graying of hair begins. Along with graying, hair becomes dry and shines less. So to moisturize you hair, use a protein conditioner.
Hair doesn’t turn grey overnight. So the moment you realize your hair is graying, start taking care of hair to prevent premature graying. Apply hair mask made of olive oil, banana, and avocado once a week.
If you still need to dye your hair, use some natural application instead of readymade chemical dye. Henna is a very effective vegetable dye. You can mix henna with walnut juice to get a dark brown color. For blackish tone, mix Amla powder with Heena. Heena not only dyes the hair, it has excellent ability to condition your hair. Rosemary and chamomile are also used to color hair.